11 September 2008

After 2 Years & 4 Cats!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller

Almost 2 years has flown by since I first fell in love with 'cats'. Time has indeed passed quickly! 2 years and 4 cats! I just thought to pen down my heartfelt feelings about these adorable creatures after these while.


As I mentioned at the beginning of my blog, I was born the dog-lover as I had a pet dog since I was born for some years. Of course, I still love puppies and dogs. I still do yearn to own one but probably when I'm in a better financial situation than now. Dogs need plenty of quality time for attention and walks plus tons of moo-lah in maintaining them! I'm getting there soon! :)
I've heard of cats - Persians and such, being the kinda creatures which dislikes petting and too much attention. I always had the impression that cats only want to be served and pampered. That was my pre-conceived ideas of ALL cats! And boy, was I so wrong!! I own 4 awesome DSH (Domestic Short Hair) cats and I know now, cats were nothing I imagined them to be!
After Slurpee and Cherry came into my life, I began to learn tons about cats, observing and taking care of them. They indeed are so much more lovable than I even thought! All the more when Cookie was born and Pepper was found a short time later, my lessons on cats grew. I'm so thankful for not missing out these beautiful moments in life.
  • LESSON #1
Cats are indeed grateful creatures. Cherry would rub her head against our legs whenever we give her food before devouring them - her grateful gesture. Slurpee would not waste one bit of food. If it falls from her plate, she would use her paw, pull it towards her and eat it up.
  • LESSON #2
Cats DO love pampering and to snuggle close to you! All our four beauties enjoy us carrying them and being stoked and petted. But that is only when they fully trust you and are entirely familiar with you.
  • LESSON #3
Cats can be trained! My Mom proved to me that anyone at all can be taught. My Mom started off with training Slurpee to do stuff like 'turning over', 'shaking hands', 'play & catch' and 'eat' successfully. Then My Dad began to train Cherry to 'turn over', 'come', 'sit' and many more. I tried training Cookie and now she's a real darling! Now Pepper is in the training process.
Though being the only cat who roams around freely, Cherry is the most obedient of them all. You'll have to see to believe!

  • LESSON #4
Cats are extremely intelligent. As for this, it varies in each cat.
Slurpee is an alert cat with the knowledge of every new object around her. She always rushed to it to check it out.

As for Cherry, she understands our words just too well. Sometimes I feel she's so human!
Cookie knows when we are going to take her back to her cage, she would run to a corner and hide. Cookie would mew or cry until she gets what she wants. Mischievous but her demands are always reasonable so we give in :)
As for Pepper, she knows exactly when to cry what. Meaning, when we're applying cream or medication for her, she would cry out "Awww!" and when I'm giving her the oral Cod Liver Oil she would promptly shake her head and say "Nooo!" Not kidding! Hear to believe! ;)

I'll continue to update this section when I do recall other lessons I've learnt :)

No comments: