10 September 2008

It's a bump! No. It's ring-worms!

We found a bleeding wound on Pepper's forehead on 7 August 2008. Actually, Ye En who was over at my house noticed the 'injury' on Pepper's forehead (between her right ear and eye: the size of a 50-cent coin). It was bleeding at that moment and I had not much time to be with her (and also thinking it was an injury due to her running and falling moments), I dabbed off the blood and applied Body Shop Butter on it.
Days later, the bleeding stopped but I continued to apply iodine and gave her Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil orally everyday. Thank God I did! But the wounds did not seem to heal neither did the fur at that spot seem to regrow :(


Then, on 19 August 2008, while carrying Pepper as usual, I suddenly noticed a similar looking wound on her left paw! This one was much smaller (about the circumference of a straw) and one of her fingers were almost eaten up! Mortified was I! Although she lives with Cookie, I knew very well that Cookie had nothing to do with this. Immediately I called up our vet, described everything and he asked me to take her in for consultation. That was when we finally knew it was RING-WORMS attacking our baby! I was totally disappointed with myself for not taking Pepper to the vet any earlier!
Ringworm is an annoying, highly contagious fungal disorder that is curable. The problem with this disorder is that there are 35 different species of ringworm that can affect cats, dogs and be transmitted to humans as well. (Source: http://rubyglen.com/pets/ringworm.htm)


Pepper
and Cookie had to be separated due to the infection being contagious. It was indeed a very difficult time for Cookie, Pepper and us as well; to see both of them suffer alone (esp. Cookie being terrified being alone).
The vet prescribed an anti-fungal gel to be applied once a day and anti-fungal shampoo to be applied for 10 minutes before washing it off every few days.
Pepper took the treatment very badly as the lotion smears her skin due to alcohol content and she hates being wet (which cat likes being wet anyway?)
All of us took turns taking care of her and it sure paid off! Today Pepper officially recovered! How do we know? My Dad bought the Wood Lamp to check out her wounds for the worms and when we used it to check her wounds this morning, it was all clear! Thank you, Jesus! :)

Notice the improvement at that spot? :)

After showering Cookie and Pepper today, we put them back together again! And you should see how crazily happy they are together now. I'm bliss. *phewww*

2 comments:

yeen said...

Gal, post the picture of wood lamp.. i want to see!!! i want to play also... ehehehehe

Sheryl Hoh said...

will post it soon!